|.The Great Disconnect | Why Beds Are So Dirty | Research|
We conducted research examining terminal cleaning, germicides, bed and mattress longevity, laundering processes and more. The conclusion was clear: The most effective way to ensure clean hospital beds is to protect the mattress and bed deck with a LAUNDERABLE system
To date the standard for hospital mattress disinfection has been terminal cleaning with germicides. These germicides are used by hospitals because EPA guidelines require that they provide up to a 99.9999% reduction of bacteria – on hard, non-porous surfaces.
Trinity Guardion’s research has unveiled three key industry findings:
- Current cleaners do not consistently relieve hospital beds of microorganisms
because these cleaners were developed for hard, non-porous surfaces and do not kill all the bacteria dwelling in the recesses and cracks within the woven nylon or polyurethane mattress surfaces.
- The cleaning process of wiping the mattress might actually spread microorganisms to the bed deck and surrounding surfaces.
- The current method of auditing bed cleanliness using rayon-tipped swabs may fail to identify the presence of bacterial contamination.
A 2011 study conducted by Xavier University found the actual reduction of bio burden on a mattress surface terminally cleaned with germicides was 80%. By contrast, the machine launderable, polyurethane cover of the Trinity Bed Protection System has been tested and shown to remove 99.99% of bacteria.
According to research conducted by Dr. Edmond Hooker of Xavier University in early 2011, data concluded that conventional rayon-tipped swabs are not a good method for identifying bacterial contamination of mattresses and bed deck.
- BHTA Mattress Fabric Care Document>>
- Mattress Cleaning Practices for US Hospitals>>
- Hospital Mattresses as a Source of HAI>>
- Great Disconnect in Cleaning Hospital Beds>>
- Evaluation of Laundry to Eliminate Hospital Contamination of Trinity Hospital Mattress Cover>>
- A Randomized Trial to Evaluate a Launderable Bed Protection System for Hospital Beds>>